Last updated on October 6, 2021
Are you planning a trip to Tanzania? Read on to learn about the current COVID-19 regulations and entry requirements applicable for travelers to Tanzania. Make sure to also check the official Tanzania government travel website and your home country travel regulations for latest updates as regulations might change quickly.
Current Entry Requirements Upon Arrival
- Apply for a Visa.
- Present a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours before flight departure to Tanzania.
- Submit a Traveler’s Surveillance Form within 24 hours before arrival in Tanzania.
- Tourists arriving from or were traveling through countries with a high number of COVID-19 cases or new COVID-19 variants based on WHO daily updates in the last 14 days will be subjected to enhanced screening for COVID-19 infection, including a rapid COVID-19 antigen test at own expense. The cost for rapid testing is 25 USD per traveler which must be paid in cash on arrival. Those testing positive or showing symptoms must undergo a 14-day self-isolation at a place designated by the Government at own cost.
During Your Stay
The great news is that most of your activities will be outdoors when traveling to Tanzania with Fair Voyage, so safe physical distance can easily be kept at all times. Staff members are additionally receiving extensive training about how to prevent the spread of the virus and how to act when a guest seems to have COVID-19 symptoms.
To ensure the greatest safety during park visits, ambulance services have been increased and positioned at different locations. All vehicles are sanitized between each transfer. Additionally, all surfaces and objects used by guests during and after the tours will be sanitized. Guests’ temperatures will be retaken upon entry of the hotel facilities. Otherwise:
- Wear face masks at all times in public places.
- Maintain safe physical distance to others of at least 1.5 meters.
Preventive Measures for Climbing Kilimanjaro & Other Mountains
As one of the most popular activities in Tanzania, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is still very safe to do, also during the era of COVID-19. Solid preventative measures have also been implemented for mountain-climbing activities in Tanzania. These aim to ensure the health and safety of guests and mountain crew members.
Here is a review of a customer’s exciting adventure climbing Kilimanjaro with the Standard Operating Procedures implemented according to local best practice, as established by a KPAP Partner Committee during the time of COVID-19. All our mountain crew members are well trained on COVID-19 preventive and control measures and do make sure that all mountain-climbing equipment is sanitized before climbing. Our guides and porters will additionally ensure that tents are pitched at a reasonable distance of not less than three meters apart. Other requests are to:
- Maintain safe physical distance to others of at least one meter.
- Wear face masks in camp and when near other individuals. While trekking, masks are not to be worn.
On arrival in the park, the ranger will take your temperature to make sure that you aren’t running a fever and you don’t exceed a normal body temperature, which is around 37.5°C. There will be additional hand-washing basins for climbers and crew members arriving at camp. Furthermore, fresh food will be cleaned and packed under hygienic conditions. The mountain crew members will ensure that toilet bowls and basins are cleaned on a regular basis with approved disinfectant solutions. Where applicable, they will make it possible to dispose safely of paper towels and sanitary products.
For Your Departure
As regards quarantine on the way back home, travelers must check their home country regulations, as these vary from country to country and week to week. For your homebound flight, testing is available through Government of Tanzania laboratories, which can be booked via this dedicated portal. It should take up to 72 hours until you receive your test results back, although this timing is not guaranteed. For travelers booked with Fair Voyage, we will do our best to assist you in such circumstances and help with local phone calls to expedite the procedure.
Get Travel Updates
To stay updated and receive Tanzania COVID-19 travel alerts and regulation updates straight to your inbox, we have created a free travel alerts service for you. Simply leave your email to get free travel alerts here.
Booking Your Trip
When you book your trip with Fair Voyage, we will help you plan your itinerary as smoothly as possible to meet local requirements for your maximum convenience. We are also doing our part to make sure that procedures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 are followed throughout your trip and accommodations booked with us.
Contact our Tanzania travel advisors to start planning your trip today.