Last updated on January 24, 2023
Are you planning a trip to Tanzania? Read on to learn about the current COVID-19 regulations and entry requirements applicable for travelers to Tanzania. Make sure to also check the official Tanzania government travel website and your home country travel regulations for latest updates as regulations might change quickly.
*Latest updates highlighted in red as per government travel advisory of 12 January 2023
Current Entry Requirements Upon Arrival
- Apply for a Visa. To speed up immigration procedures, we recommend you to get your visa online once you’ve booked your trip; except:
- If you are arriving by land from Kenya via the Tarakea border, visas are not available online.
- Visas on arrival cost USD 100 per person. Bring this amount in cash as card payments may not always work.
- COVID-19 vaccination certificate or RT-PCR certificate or perform Rapid Antigen Test on arrival – no longer required
- On arrival, as per the Tanzania travel advisory, “thermal and physical screening will be done“, and Rapid Antigen Test may be performed free of charge for randomly selected travelers. “Passengers found to be symptomatic during screening will be immediately isolated and handled as per health protocol.” It is not yet clear how this will be implemented in actuality.
- For travelers to Zanzibar, you may still need proof of vaccination or a negative test. We expect the guidelines to be updated and announced soon in line with the guidelines above. Make sure to check with your travel agent at your time of travel.
During Your Stay
The great news is that most of your activities will be outdoors when traveling to Tanzania with Fair Voyage, so safe physical distance can easily be kept at all times. Staff members have been receiving extensive training about how to prevent the spread of the virus and how to act when a guest has symptoms.
To ensure the greatest safety during park visits, ambulance services have been increased and positioned at different locations. All vehicles are sanitized between each transfer. Additionally, all surfaces and objects used by guests during and after the tours will be sanitized. Guests’ temperatures may be retaken upon entry of the hotel facilities.
Preventive Measures for Climbing Kilimanjaro & Other Mountains
As one of the most popular activities in Tanzania, climbing Mount Kilimanjaro is still very safe to do, also during the era of COVID-19. Solid preventative measures have also been implemented for mountain-climbing activities in Tanzania. These aim to ensure the health and safety of guests and mountain crew members.
Here is a review of a customer’s exciting adventure climbing Kilimanjaro with the Standard Operating Procedures implemented according to local best practice, as established by a KPAP Partner Committee during the time of COVID-19. All our mountain crew members are well trained on COVID-19 preventive and control measures and do make sure that all mountain-climbing equipment is sanitized before climbing.
We provide additional hand-washing basins for climbers and crew members arriving at camp. Furthermore, fresh food is cleaned and packed under hygienic conditions. Our mountain crew ensures that toilet bowls and basins are cleaned on a regular basis with approved disinfectant solutions, and dispose safely of paper towels and sanitary products.
For Your Departure
As regards quarantine on the way back home, travelers must check their home country regulations, as these vary from country to country and week to week. For your homebound flight, testing is available through Government of Tanzania laboratories, which can be booked via this dedicated portal.
Depending on your home country’s regulations or the airline you are traveling with a COVID-19 PCR test may be required.
Get Travel Updates
To stay updated and receive Tanzania COVID-19 travel alerts and regulation updates straight to your inbox, we have created a free travel alerts service for you. Simply leave your email to get free travel alerts here.
Booking Your Trip
When you book your trip with Fair Voyage, we will help you plan your itinerary as smoothly as possible to meet local requirements for your maximum convenience. We are also doing our part to make sure that procedures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 are followed throughout your trip and accommodations booked with us.
For local expert advice and tailor-made itineraries, feel free to get in touch.