The Partner for Responsible Travel Program (KPAP) for Mount Kilimanjaro assures that porters have the proper working conditions.
The Partner Program’s activities include:
- Surveying porters to learn more about their working conditions
- Reviewing the tipping procedures of travel companies, and ensuring porters are paid correctly
- Placing a KPAP investigative porter on all partner company climbs to obtain an independent evaluation of the treatment standards
- Providing feedback and recommendations to companies to help safeguard proper treatment of porters
- Companies cooperating with the Partner Program do so on a voluntary basis.
Every climb of the Partner companies is evaluated and a company is approved and listed as a Partner if they are able to attain a minimum of an 85% performance grade every single climbing season by adhering to KPAP’s minimum porter treatment standards.